Anchoring Our Hope on God's Promises
“This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, a hope both sure and steadfast…”
What would be the most outlandish thing someone could promise you?
- “I know you are in your 60’s and only 5’4" but I promise, you will play in the NBA next year.”
- “I know you are only 16, but I promise, you will buy a house in 2021.”
- “Sure you have extreme fear of public speaking but I promise, you will preach a sermon this Fall.”
- “I know you don’t know how to swim, but I promise, you will swim to Catalina on your 40th birthday.”
What would your response be to one these promises?
None of these promises are any more extreme than what God promised Abraham in the book of Genesis, “Now look toward the heavens, and count the stars, if you are able to count them.” And He said to him, “So shall your descendants be” (Genesis 15:5).
Abraham had just limped away from battle (Genesis 14).
He and his wife, Sarah were senior citizens.
They were wandering from town to town.
They were childless.
And then God promises Abraham and his wife Sarah, “I will make nations out of you…” (Genesis 17).
Abraham and Sarah laughed. How could they birth a great nation when they didn’t even have one son?
*Spoiler Alert – God kept His promise to Abraham and Sarah!
This Sunday, we will be graciously reminded from Hebrews 6:13-20, that our God kept and still keeps His promises. What a great truth we need to recall in this season of uncertainty and anxiety!
Speaking of promises, here are 16 promises of God from the Bible that we can Anchor our Hope in Today:
- God promises to comfort and be with us in the valleys. (Psalm 23)
- God promises to give us wisdom if we ask (James 1:5)
- God promises to provide a way out of temptation (1 Cor. 10:13)
- God promises that in all things God works for the good of those who love him (Romans 8:28)
- God promises to never leave us nor forsake us (Heb. 13:5)
- God promises to be near to all who call on him (Psalm 145)
- God promises to give those who trust in Him, strength when they are weary (Isaiah 40:29-31)
- God promises to supply our needs in Him (Philippians 4:19)
- God promises that If you declare with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved (Romans 10:9)
- God promises that If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins (1 John 1:9)
- God promises that those who abide in Jesus will bear much fruit (John 15:5)
- God promises to give the believer in Him, the Holy Spirit (John 14:15-17).
- God promises to give us rest of our souls in Him (Matthew 11:28-30).
- God promises that our salvation is secure, no matter what (John 10:28–29)
- God promises to finish the good work He has begun in us (Phil. 1:6).
- God promises that He is coming back (Luke 12:40)
We look forward to sharing this message of hope and gathering with you this Sunday virtually or in-person! The live-stream service from the Worship Center will be online at 9:30am at CalvaryLife.org/LIVE. And, our on-campus service in the Courtyard will be at 6:00pm (RSVP required - registration is currently full. Also, the services in Spanish will be on-campus at 9:00am and live-stream online at 11:00am.)
We can’t promise you what will happen next in our world, but what we can promise you in this—we serve, worship and relate to the God of promise. Let Him be the anchor of your soul this week.