- "James 1:27" Weekend
Saturday, November 8 | "Operation Love" | 8:00 am | Fellowship Hall
Enjoy breakfast then break into teams to serve the elderly in our community.
Sunday, November 9 | Orphan Care Sunday | 8:45 am + 10:45 am
Guest speaker and author Johnny Carr shares on God's heart for the orphan.
Retirement Home Ministry | Motel Ministry | Mary's Kitchen | Orphan Care Book Club |Operation Love | Orphan Care Sunday | Angel Tree Outreach | Operation Chrismas Child | Thanksgiving Outreach | Angel Tree Christmas Party
“ Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.” – Jesus in Matthew 5:16
1. Retirement Home Ministry:
October 11th and 25th, November 8th and 22nd, December 13th
(10:00am to 11:30am)
Visit and serve seniors with memory loss at Cranbrook Senior Living Home in Tustin. Contact Bob Browning at firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Motel Ministry: October 11th, November 8th and Dec. 13th
(10:00am to 11:30am) - Meet at DaVinci Motel (2222 1st St. Santa Ana)
Help distribute groceries and resources to low income motel residents. Contact Ben Stripe at email@example.com
3. Mary’s Kitchen: September 27th and November 22nd
(8:00am to 11:00am or 10:00am to 1:00pm)
Help host and prepare a meal for homeless men, women and children. Contact Sheri Goodrich at firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Reach Orphan Care Ministry Book Club and Discussion:
Sundays - October 5th, 12th, 19th, 26th and Nov 2nd
(8:45am to 10:00am - Room Tba)
Join others at Calvary with a heart for Orphan care by reading and discussing the book, “Orphan Justice” by Johnny Carr. (Johnny will be speaking at Calvary on Nov 10th). Contact Erin at email@example.com for more info.
5. Operation Love: Yardwork Projects for Widows: Saturday, Nov 8th
(8am to 1pm – Meet at Calvary/Fellowship Hall)
The men’s ministry of Calvary hosts its annual Fall widow serve day, where the men of Calvary take a Saturday morning and work together to serve widows thru home maintenance and yardwork projects. Contact Tim Nellis at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
6. Orphan Care Sunday: Sunday, November 9th
(8:45am and 10:45am – Worship Center)
Come hear stories of how God is using people at Calvary to care for Orphans both here in Orange County and the World. Johnny Carr, the author of “Orphan Justice” (orphanjustice.com) will be teaching in our morning services and there will be a Orphan Care resource fair in the Worship Center lobby after each service.
7. Angel Tree Outreach: Nov. 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd
– Worship Center Lobby (8:45am/10:45am)
Select a gift tag from our Angel Tree Christmas Tree for an Orange County child who has a parent who is incarcerated over the Christmas holidays. Purchased gifts are distributed by Calvary volunteers at the Angel Tree party in December. Contact Marlene at Marlene.email@example.com for more info.
8. Operation Christmas Child: Dropoff - November 18-25
A ministry of Samaritan’s Purse, these Christmas shoeboxes are distributed all over the world in 3rd world countries to children at Christmas time. For a list of items to include in the shoebox and for info about our Orange County dropoff locations go to, www.samaritanspurse.org/operation-christmas-child/pack-a-shoe-box/
9. Thanksgiving Outreach: Wed. November 26th (4pm to 8pm)
Help deliver fresh cooked gourmet turkey dinners to low-income Orange County families in need the evening before Thanksgiving. Contact Matt Doan at firstname.lastname@example.org
10. Angel Tree Christmas Party: Dec 13th
(11:30am to 2:30pm – Fellowship Hall)
Help distribute Angel Tree gifts to Orange County kids who have a Mom or Dad in prison over the Christmas holidays. Volunteers needed for set-up, table hosts, game coordinators, lunch servers and gift distributors. Contact Barb at email@example.com to volunteer.
12 Ways to Serve Orange County this Christmas Season – November and December
Look for our Christmas local outreach opportunity brochure to be made available in the worship center lobby and online beginning in November. Contact Janice at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
James 1:27 Weekend
“Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.” – James 1:27
November 8th and 9th is being set aside as a weekend for our Church family to live out the calling as Christians to care for the widow and the orphan as “Operation Love" and “Orphan Care Sunday" events are hosted by Calvary’s Men’s Ministry and Reach:Orphan Care ministries.
Saturday, November 8th
8:00 am in Fellowship Hall
Calvary Men's Ministry is hosting “Operation Love”, beginning with a breakfast for men in the Fellowship Hall and then sending out 10 volunteer teams to do yard work and maintenance on elderly widows homes here in Orange County. Men are encouraged to bring their sons and friends (along with gardening equipment and light tools) and live out the great call of James 1:27.
Orphan Care Sunday
Sunday, November 9th
8:45 am + 10:45 am
Calvary’s Reach:Orphan Ministry is hosting a guest speaker in both morning services and an Orphan Care ministry fair in the worship center lobby throughout the morning.
Johnny Carr, the author or “Orphan Justice” (www.orphanjustice.com) will be our special guest speaker in both Celebration and Elevation, speaking biblically on the theme, “How to Care for Orphans Beyond Adoption.”
We guarantee that you will be challenged and inspired by Johnny’s own story and you will inherit his passion to see our Church involved in practical ways in helping Orphans both here in Orange County and throughout the world.
The Orphan Care Ministry Fair that morning will include: Olive Crest, Safe Families for Children, Child SHARE, Nightlight Christian Adoption, Bethany Christian Adoption, Orange County Human Trafficking and Orange County Social Services.
Calvary has formed strategic partnerships with non-profit organizations in our community that meet the 3 C's: they are CLOSE to Calvary, they have CONSISTENT volunteer opportunities that allow for ongoing relationships to be developed, and CHRIST can be shared through their organization. The 18 partnerships listed below line up with these values as we do our part to REACH Orange County and the World for Jesus Christ.
“In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.” – Matthew 5:16
Birth Choice (Orange) www.birthchoiceoc.org
– Pro-life medical center offering medical services pertaining to education and support for family, marriage, sexual and reproductive health, consistent with the inherent value of every human life. To volunteer contact Jennifer at 714.541.5484 x225 or email@example.com
Cabrillo Park Renewal Project (Santa Ana)
– We partner with the City of Santa Ana and the Parks and Recreation Department (www.ci.santa-ana.ca.us/parks) to help keep our Church neighborhood park clean and safe. To volunteer for a park clean-up day, contact Pastor Matt Doan at firstname.lastname@example.org or 714.550.2378.
*Photos from Cabrillo Park Renewal Days Gallery 1 | Gallery 2
*Photos from Easter Egg Outreach’s at Cabrillo Park Gallery 1 | Gallery 2
Capernaum/Young Life (Tustin) www.tustincapernaum.blogspot.com
- Capernaum is part of Young Life, a parachurch organization, which shares the gospel and reaches teenagers with disabilities. Capernaum gives these teenagers opportunities to have fun, try new things, build their self esteem, make new friends, and explore a personal relationship with God through club (regular monthly scheduled meetings), camps (week long in the summer), and other activities (such as karaoke nights and holiday parties). For more info or to volunteer contact Kara Kawanami at email@example.com or 408.489.3635.
Children Giving Gifts (Orange County) www.childrengivinggifts.org
– Dedicated to providing low-income children ages 5-12, a means to ‘shop” and give a gift (free of charge) to a family member during important times of the year. To volunteer at the next event contact Janeen at firstname.lastname@example.org or 949.233.8555.
Giving Children Hope (Orange County) www.gchope.org
- Faith-based nonprofit organization dedicated to alleviating poverty (domestically and abroad) through disaster relief, health and community development, vocational training and advocacy. To volunteer at the GCH where house in Buena Park, Ca or to find out about the latest relief project go to www.gchope.org/volunteer or contact Drew at email@example.com or 714.523.4454.
KidWorks (Santa Ana) www.kidsworksonline.org
– Developing the community of central Santa Ana through after-school tutoring and mentoring programs for youth and families. To volunteer, contact Donia Quon at firstname.lastname@example.org or 714.834.9400 ext.111.
Military Ministry (Orange County)
– Calvary lead ministry supporting members of US Armed forces and their families through the Calvary Church military prayer wall, quarterly prayer meetings and care packages. For more info or to volunteer contact Sheryl at email@example.com
Motel Ministry (Santa Ana)
– A Calvary run ministry serving motels on East 1st St. in Santa Ana. Calvary sends at team to distribute grocery boxes to motel residents the 2nd Saturday of every month. To volunteer, meet at 2111 E. 1ST St. in Santa Ana at 10am on the 2nd Saturday of the month or contact Pastor Matt Doan at firstname.lastname@example.org or 714.550.2378.
OliveCrest (Santa Ana) www.olivecrest.org
– Runs foster, mentor and group home programs that aim to transform the lives of abused, neglected, and at-risk children and their families. To volunteer contact OliveCrest at email@example.com or 714.543.5437.
Operation Love (Orange County)
– Calvary run ministry serving widows, single mom’s and the elderly through on-going home repairs and yard maintence. To volunteer contact Joe France at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Pastor Matt Doan at 714.550.2378.
Orange County Rescue Mission (Orange County) www.rescuemission.org
– The mission of the OC Rescue Mission is to minister the love of Jesus Christ to the Least, the Last, and the Lost of our Community through the provision of assistance in the areas of guidance, counseling, education, job training, shelter, food, clothing, health care and independent living communities. To volunteer contact email@example.com or 714.247.4326.
REACH Orphan (Orange County)
– A Calvary Church ministry focusing on Foster Care, Domestic Adoption, International Adoption and Orphan Care Relief Efforts. Go www.calvarylife.org/reach/reach_openarms for more info or contact Pastor Matt Doan at firstname.lastname@example.org 714.550.2378.
*Shoes for Ethiopa Video
- A Calvary ministry serving men and women who are incarcerated and their families. The signature event of this ministry is our annual Angel Tree Christmas Outreach where our Church donates 200 gifts to children of prisoners.
For more info contact Marlene Eckert at email@example.com
Release Time Christian Education (Anaheim) www.anaheimrt.org
– Serves public elementary school students in Anaheim through 30 minute in-school Bible Studies. For volunteer opportunities contact Candy Kenney at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 714.836.4776.
Safe Families (Orange County) www.safe-families.org
– Providing Biblical Hospitality to Orange County families in crisis. Safe Families provide temporary homes to children (0-18) for 1 to 40 days during a family crisis. To become a Safe Family or for more info contact Contact Renee Franks at email@example.com or at 1.800.550.CHILD (2445), ext. 1234.
The Sheepfold (Orange) www.thesheepfold.org
– Provides shelter, refuge and a new beginning for abused women and their children. To volunteer at the Sheepfold thrift store in Orange or to find out about current volunteer opportunities go to www.thesheepfold.org/volunteers or contact DeAnne at DeAnne@thesheepfold.org or 714.237.1444.
Young Life (Tustin) www.CentralOC.younglife.org
- Reaches out to un-churched adolescents by entering into their world through attending school events, games, school campuses etc. Young Life is committed to introducing adolescents to Jesus Christ and helping them grow in their faith. You can get involved by opening up your home for weekly club, sponsoring students to winter and summer camp or by joining the volunteer leadership team. Contact Kristy Fox, Tustin Young Life area director at 714.412.9826 for more info.
There are also several key ongoing ministries and special outreach events throughout the year that serve as bridge-building opportunities for people at Calvary to invite their friends, family, coworkers and neighbors to church:
Vacation Bible School (1st - 6th grade)
This is a week of adventure and exitement during the summer where kids can bring their friends to hear about Jesus. Each day kids will be part of fun Bible learning, and it's absolutely free! Find out more...
Light the Night
This is a fun and safe alternative to "trick or treating" on October 31. Activities include: Carnival game booths and rides, cakewalk, large inflatable games, live entertainment, puppet show and a special carnival area just for preschoolers. There is lots of candy for the kids and the public is invited. This is event is free!
Find out more...
The annual Christmas outreach production is a dramatic musical with many opportunities to use gifts in acting, dance and singing. To find out more about Calvary's Drama Ministry or how you can be a part of this fantastic outreach, contact Linda Paszkiewicz at 714.550.2301. firstname.lastname@example.org
Athletics is a ministry "beyond the sanctuary" to break down social barriers and build stronger Christ-centered relationships by providing opportunities for fellowship, outreach and service. Athletics is a common denominator that bridges across ethnic, language, cultural and economic barriers. This attribute makes athletics an ideal vehicle for reaching people for Christ who would not resist other means. Find out more...