"Bear one another’s burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ." Galatians 6:2
Join us at the Orientation Meeting
Thursday, August 30 at 7:00 PM | W-209
About Stephen Ministry
Calvary Church is now a Stephen Ministry Congregation!
Stephen Ministry congregations equip and empower lay caregivers—called Stephen Ministers—to provide high-quality, confidential, Christ-centered care to people who are hurting. A Stephen Minister usually provides care to one person at a time, meeting with that person once a week for about an hour. Twice a month, Stephen Ministers gather with their Stephen Leaders for supervision and continuing education. Care receivers are people struggling through a difficult time in life—experiencing grief, divorce, job loss, chronic or terminal illness, or some other life crisis.
- The relationship between a care receiver and a Stephen Minister is confidential.
- Men are matched with men; women with women.
- When a care receiver’s needs exceed what a Stephen Minister can provide, the Stephen Ministry team makes a referral to an appropriate mental health professional or other community resource.
Since Stephen Ministry was founded in 1975:
- More than 13,000 congregations have enrolled in the Stephen Series.
- More than 75,000 pastors and lay leaders from those congregations have been equipped at Leader’s Training Courses.
- More than 600,000 laypeople have received Stephen Minister training.
- More than one-and-a-half-million people have had a Stephen Minister to walk with them, providing one-to-one Christian care during tough times.
Stephen Minister training:
- Is typically taught in 20 weekly 2 hour sessions
- Combines pre-class reading, devotions, lecture, video presentation, discussion, and skill practice
Here is what Stephen Ministers say about the training:
- Stephen Minister training teaches principles and skills that equip you to provide high-quality, Christ-centered emotional and spiritual care to others.
- You gain insight into the thoughts, feelings, and actions of people who are hurting.
- You develop relational and caring skills you can apply to all aspects of your life.
- You deepen your faith as the Holy Spirit fashions you into a Christ-centered caregiver.
- You feel a special bond with those in your class—experiencing real Christian community.
- Stephen Minister training is a lot of fun!
Training Opportunities at Calvary:
Currently, Calvary offers Stephen Minister training every Wednesday from 9:00 - 11:00 am in W-209. An evening class will be launched on September 6, 2018 at 7:00 pm. Are you interested in training to become a Stephen Minister? Contact Sheryl Larsen at 714-550-2314 or email her at
Training materials include:
- The Stephen Minister Training Manuals 1 and 2
- Christian Caregiving: a Way of Life
- Speaking the Truth in Love: How to Be an Assertive Christian
- When and How to Use Mental Health Resources:
(Materials require a $25 donation, refundable when a graduate begins serving as a Stephen Minister)
For additional questions, please contact our Stephen Ministry leader and Counseling Pastor, Jim McCarty, at 714-550-2352 or email him at