"Bear one another’s burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ." Galatians 6:2
The next Stephen Ministry Training Course will be offered Wednesdays at 9:00 - 11:00 am, and 7:00 - 9:00 pm, beginning on June 5.
If you are interested in enrolling, contact Pastor Ron at by Wednesday, May 29 in order to make the deadline for getting training materials.
About Stephen Ministry
Calvary Church is now a Stephen Ministry Congregation!
Stephen Ministry congregations equip and empower lay caregivers—called Stephen Ministers—to provide high-quality, confidential, Christ-centered care to people who are hurting. A Stephen Minister usually provides care to one person at a time, meeting with that person once a week for about an hour. Twice a month, Stephen Ministers gather with their Stephen Leaders for supervision and continuing education. Care receivers are people struggling through a difficult time in life—experiencing grief, divorce, job loss, chronic or terminal illness, or some other life crisis.
- The relationship between a care receiver and a Stephen Minister is confidential.
- Men are matched with men; women with women.
- When a care receiver’s needs exceed what a Stephen Minister can provide, the Stephen Ministry team makes a referral to an appropriate mental health professional or other community resource.
Since Stephen Ministry was founded in 1975:
- More than 13,000 congregations have enrolled in the Stephen Series.
- More than 75,000 pastors and lay leaders from those congregations have been equipped at Leader’s Training Courses.
- More than 600,000 laypeople have received Stephen Minister training.
- More than one-and-a-half-million people have had a Stephen Minister to walk with them, providing one-to-one Christian care during tough times.
Stephen Minister training:
- Is typically taught in 20 weekly 2 hour sessions
- Combines pre-class reading, devotions, lecture, video presentation, discussion, and skill practice
Here is what Stephen Ministers say about the training:
- Stephen Minister training teaches principles and skills that equip you to provide high-quality, Christ-centered emotional and spiritual care to others.
- You gain insight into the thoughts, feelings, and actions of people who are hurting.
- You develop relational and caring skills you can apply to all aspects of your life.
- You deepen your faith as the Holy Spirit fashions you into a Christ-centered caregiver.
- You feel a special bond with those in your class—experiencing real Christian community.
- Stephen Minister training is a lot of fun!
Training Opportunities at Calvary:
Training materials include:
- The Stephen Minister Training Manuals 1 and 2
- Christian Caregiving: a Way of Life
- Speaking the Truth in Love: How to Be an Assertive Christian
- When and How to Use Mental Health Resources:
(Materials require a $25 donation, refundable when a graduate begins serving as a Stephen Minister)
For additional questions, please contact our Stephen Ministry leader and Counseling Pastor, Jim McCarty, at 714-550-2352 or email him at