"Bear one another’s burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ." Galatians 6:2
About Stephen Ministry
Calvary Church is now a Stephen Ministry Congregation!
Stephen Ministry congregations equip and empower lay caregivers—called Stephen Ministers—to provide high-quality, confidential, Christ-centered care to people who are hurting. A Stephen Minister usually provides care to one person at a time, meeting with that person once a week for about an hour. Twice a month, Stephen Ministers gather with their Stephen Leaders for supervision and continuing education. Care receivers are people struggling through a difficult time in life—experiencing grief, divorce, job loss, chronic or terminal illness, or some other life crisis.
- The relationship between a care receiver and a Stephen Minister is confidential.
- Men are matched with men; women with women.
- When a care receiver’s needs exceed what a Stephen Minister can provide, the Stephen Ministry team makes a referral to an appropriate mental health professional or other community resource.
Since Stephen Ministry was founded in 1975:
- More than 13,000 congregations have enrolled in the Stephen Series.
- More than 75,000 pastors and lay leaders from those congregations have been equipped at Leader’s Training Courses.
- More than 600,000 laypeople have received Stephen Minister training.
- More than one-and-a-half-million people have had a Stephen Minister to walk with them, providing one-to-one Christian care during tough times.
Learn more about Stephen Ministry
They chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit… full of God’s grace and power
Stephen Minister training:
Volunteer pastoral care training aims to make you a better listener, friend and caregiver. This is also the first step to becoming a Stephen Minister or Volunteer Counselor in Calvary Soul Care Ministries. The Stephen Ministry Training Course is experienced in round-table small groups and taught in 16, weekly 2 hour sessions. This training combines pre-class reading, lecture with projection, discussion, and skill practice.
Training and Reading Materials Include:
- Stephen Minister Training Manuals 1 and 2
- Christian Caregiving: a Way of Life (by Dr. Kenneth Haugk)
- Speaking the Truth in Love: How to Be an Assertive Christian
- When and How to Use Mental Health Resources
Fees for materials are partially subsidized by the ministry, so only $25 is required for registration.
Here is what Stephen Ministers say about the training:
- Stephen Minister training teaches principles and skills that equip you to provide high-quality, Christ-centered emotional and spiritual care to others.
- You gain insight into the thoughts, feelings, and actions of people who are hurting.
- You develop relational and caring skills you can apply to all aspects of your life.
- You deepen your faith as the Holy Spirit fashions you into a Christ-centered caregiver.
- You feel a special bond with those in your class—experiencing real Christian community.
- You come away a better listener, with a lot more compassion and empathy but with healthy boundaries.
- Stephen Minister training is a lot of fun!
Training Opportunities at Calvary:
Enrollment is open NOW for the current course offering on Wednesday nights, 7:00 - 9:00 pm, March 22 - July 19, in Fireside Room. Contact Ron Rogalski at 714-550-2361 or at
for more information and to register.
For additional questions, please contact our Stephen Ministry leader Pastor Ron Rogalski at 714-550-2361 or